Prenuptial & Postnuptial Agreements
Serving Couples of Greenwood Village, Colorado
Our Greenwood Village divorce attorneys at Hinds & Hinds Family Law, P.C. can help you enforce or challenge any marital agreement made between you and your spouse. Because these documents are contracts, they often require professional eyes and judgement in order to navigate them during divorce proceedings.
What Marital Agreements Can Control or Contemplate
Colorado State law does not recognize just any ancillary request because it is placed in a marital agreement. Who takes the trash out, for example, is not something that can be enforced just because it’s in a prenuptial agreement. The main concern is that the agreement meets certain criteria for enforceability, including the notions of conscionability and appropriate disclosure from, or for, both parties.
Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements can pertain to the following areas:
- How property is shared and distributed while married, and in the event of a divorce
- How assets are distributed in the event of death in one of the spouses
- How insurance benefits will be distributed among the couple
- Providing for children from former relationships
- Details pertaining to significant responsibilities during the marriage
Put Experienced Legal Team on Your Side
Each party needs to agree to the terms, put them down in writing, and have access to independent counsel during the drafting of the document. If you believe certain conditions were not met, our firm may be able to dispute the contract entirely.